Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the name for a group of lung conditions, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis, that cause breathing difficulties.
Smoking is the leading cause of COPD, with up to 90% of cases being the result of lung damage caused by smoking. The best way to prevent COPD or stop it from getting worse is to quit smoking.
It doesn’t matter how long you’ve smoked for or what stage your COPD is at. It’s never too late to quit smoking and feel the benefits. After just 3 days your lungs start to clear and after 10 years your risk of is reduced by between 30-50%.
We know that quitting smoking is hard, but the impact quitting can have on your life is massive.
The benefits include:
• Improved quality of life.
• A better response to medicines and treatments.
• Symptoms like coughing and wheezing are eased.
• Prevention of flare-ups.
• Progression of your COPD is slowed or stopped.
• Reduced risk of illnesses like lung cancer, heart attack and stroke.
• Reduced risk of complications from respiratory infections like flu and coronavirus.
• And more money in your pocket.
Don’t just take our word for it read Geoff’s story
COPD and COVID-19
If you have a respiratory condition like COPD, you are more likely to develop serious complications from COVID-19, like pneumonia. If you smoke this risk is increased even further.
Giving up smoking now could significantly improve your ability to defend and recover from the infection. Lung defences can start to heal within days. QUIT 4 COVID and reap the benefits.